Skip to main content

Best Date Ever! Celebrating Love!

BJ took me on an awesome date last night!  For Mothers Day, BJ and the kids got me tickets to see Sal Valentinetti at the Palace Theatre in Greensburg, PA.  Sal sings Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and more!  He is 21 years of age and on his way to big success!

Beej took me to dinner at J Corks!  We had so much fun!  It is so nice for us to get these moments.  This past week was hectic with meetings regarding Kate's future and what school she will attend.  We also are in wedding mode!  Everything is coming together beautifully.

BJ and I have been together 24 years.  We still laugh and love.  It is rare to find us going to a better restaurant than Applebees!  Lol!  Because we like to relax and not all the fuss.  Our favorite evening out is going to a pub for food and the the American Legion for beers.  We go with my cousin Dan (my brother from another mother) and his girlfriend Sharon, who I consider one of my closest friends who I love so much.  They both know all about Autism by close relatives and being hands on to help when they can.  They give to Beej and I a friendship of love and laughter.  There are many other friends that we love to be out with too, but our calendars don't always allow this.  So we put our grown-up clothes on and stepped out in style, just the two of us! It was soooooo fun.  I look at BJ and thank God that he married me.  Before BJ, I was searching for a guy that was genuinely kind.  BJ still is.  He made last evening so special.

When you are parents of five, you are in such a different mode at home.  Our oldest son Beau (22) is getting married to Angel soon.  Our oldest daughter, Maria (20 soon to be 21 in two weeks!), runs her own Graphic Design business.  She is about to go to her Senior Year at Franciscan University.  Right now she is helping her younger sister Trinity with her show pigs.  Trinity (13) is in 4H and very successful at show pigs.  She also enters jackpots on the east coast.  She won the WNY Preview Classic in Hamburg, New York out of 375 entries!  Our daughter Ireland (14) is my artist.  She loves design and is a huge part of our future and current house renovations.  Her eye for color and decorating blows us away!  So much talent!  Then of course is our peanut Kate.  She is the Heart of the home.  Loves her siblings and each one plays an important role in her life.  So when BJ and I are home we are dad and mom.  We homeschool Ireland and Trinity.  Kate will be attending a special needs school in a couple of weeks.  We aren't sure officially where yet.  Kate is officially diagnosed with Down Syndrome/Autism.  If you have followed our journey then you know she has been through a lot.  We are so busy.  This is why Beej and I need to connect outside of the house for date night.

What is funny is we talk about each child while we are at dinner.  Talk about our hopes and dreams and sometimes we talk about the heartbreaks that come our way.  We can talk about everything and anything.  We have realized we can't solve our worries but God can.  We have learned to surrender to His Will.  God is first in our lives.  Anyone that wants to know how our marriage worked, it was because we reverted back to our Catholic faith.  We wouldn't have had a chance without God being the center of our home.

This is our blog this week.  We have many friends that support us emotionally that we haven't mentioned, stay tuned my loving friends.  Again I say thank you for reading this.  We are up to almost 400 hits on our blog!  I hope anyone with a disabled child relates and finds comfort here.  I hope anyone that never knew a family with a disabled child sees all the love and how rich our lives became because of God's gift of Kate.  If you are pregnant and found out you are having a baby with a diagnosis and you are afraid, I will tell you this.  Your lives will be enriched like you could never imagine.  The love is beyond your wildest dreams and your hopes just shift.  Every single child is a gift from God, no exceptions.  If He sends you this gift, it is because He believes in you.  He will walk with you and you can do this and find great reward.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Cutter Parenting

When I first became a parent I was looking to be exactly like other Catholic parents, whatever that was.  I immunized Beau and Maria.  I put them in pre-school because they would never get into Harvard if I didn't.  I bought the "Happy Meals" because that was what all the other moms did.  I dressed them like all the other kids.  We celebrated Santa and then God.  Why oh why was I so unhappy?  I had everything I wanted, so I thought. One day I turned and saw a disaster following me.  A Catholic School run by feminists of the worst kind.  Caring more about academics and fundraising than the souls of these little people.  We were raising them to put God on the back burner.   God knew exactly what to do.  I became pregnant with Ireland.  I had secondary infertility.  I was very busy when I became pregnant.  I was working part-time for the Catholic Pre-School, working part-time as a Waitress at a place that had Country Music Shows.  I was also helping my brother start

Good Morning Americans

This morning I turned on GMA.  GMA standing for Good Morning America!  Really?  The news they put out is anything but good.  Today the ticker at the bottom of the screen read that milk was going up $.60.   Here .  BUT this is what was supposed to happen.   Here.   Coffee prices are going up.   Here.   The best is fuel!  Gas prices escalate.   Here. Let's talk about jobs...  Here is what the government says.   Here.   The reality is " In a phone call,  Harvard Business School  Entrepreneurship and Strategy Professor Joe Fuller called the numbers “more of the same.” While he felt the headline jobs number was “a disappointment even in the context of a decaying picture for jobs growth,” Fuller warns that”trying to read a lot into month to month data is a fools errand. There is, however, something in these numbers that’s unsettling. Even though we talk about the period from July to November being good relative to the recent past, it still wasn’t the type of job growth numbers we

Don't Judge a Special Needs Family

Have you ever been misunderstood? Have you ever tried to do the right thing and have a whole bunch of wicked come hurling at you? What did you do? Did you start to endlessly explain your motives so it could be twisted by the few people that dislike you? Or did you stay silent? Staying silent is not my strong point, thus the blog.;) When I became pregnant with Looly (Kate), I noticed some big changes within myself. I had to fight to keep her alive because of a difficult pregnancy. Then at the end of my pregnancy I had to fight to keep us both alive. Then we were told Looly had Down Syndrome. At that time, we were grateful to God that she was alive and later we were thanking God that her heart was healthy and there was no neurological damage. She just has Down Syndrome. Just Down Syndrome. Say those words...just Down Syndrome. That is what I do, I simplify difficult things, then reflect and think I'm crazy. I was connected to this child at conception. I begged God to let me car