Skip to main content

Do you know a PERSON with Down Syndrome?

Notice in the title of this blog I said PERSON.  Because you have a diagnosis, doesn't make you that, you are a person first.  So our Looly (Kate) has Down Syndrome.  She isn't Down Syndrome, as my good friend Tim, pointed out to me at a bad time.  My problem is, I don't see it, like others.  When I am home with Looly, she is just my child, like the rest.  When we are in public or with other children without disabilities, then I see it.  Many times I don't like looking through others eyes at Looly.  It was suggested to me how relieved some friends were that we are sending her to school.  As if all along we weren't handling this right.  The thing is, we had to realize that these people are clueless and most of the time Looly isn't even on their radar.  They have busy lives and we are just a fleeting thought of "well I would have..."  My good friend Amy said, don't look back with regret, you were doing God's plan and now is the time for change.  As I dwelled on this I came to agree.  I do have friends that are supportive and always there in times of struggle.  My friend Fiona would be here in a second if I needed her to be and I have many many friends and family who pray for us.

Looly starts pre-school Monday.  She is very ready.  When we went to visit the special needs pre-school, she never looked at me or BJ (her daddy), once.  If she could talk, I would have heard one word, FREEDOM!  She was exploring and other children were loving her immediately because she is smaller than them and a new addition to their routine!!!  I wasn't hurt or shocked, I was relieved.  As parents, we did what we thought was best for her.  We kept her safe and enveloped in the love of our home.  I homeschooled my two oldest and still have two almost teenagers I homeschool now.  We weren't sure if we would go that route with Looly.  Looly is non verbal.  She has difficulty talking because she has a high pallet in her mouth.  The frustration at four years old has escalated and it is time for more therapies.  She will get speech therapy, physical therapy and occupational therapy.  It is time for me to let the experts help.  That is difficult on only one level, letting go of control.  The control to keep her safe.  Now is the time to trust and that is difficult when I read the horror stories of bullying even by teachers to the disabled.  I saw a video recently, of a teacher blindsiding a four year old disabled little boy, who was hesitating to enter the classroom.  She walked up behind him and kicked him into the room.  He fell down so she picked him up and pushed him. Here.   She has since been fired.  We met the teachers at Looly's school, we met the therapists and we observed the class room.  We are confident that these people love what they do and have her best interest at heart.  One of my dearest friends, Erin, was Looly's first occupational therapist in our home and I could never thank her enough for all the suggestions and advice and laughter she brought to our family!!!  She suggested early on that Looly drink from a straw sippie cup, to strengthen her mouth so her tongue didn't protrude as some people with Down Syndrome do.  Looly was challenged by Matt another great therapist that did early therapy in our home.  He is going to be her physical therapist at her school and we couldn't be happier, Matt has been another angel sent our way.

There are difficult times in our lives but I noticed it isn't because we have Looly with Down Syndrome.  It is because we have five children, our own business, a farm and a million other things that most people have.  We just went through a horrible upper respiratory infection.  Every one of us got it!!!  Three weeks later I'm still not 100%.  Most of my friends and family have it or had it.  So yes, Looly has extra needs but well worth anything for our children.  She loves to laugh, dance, look at books, play outside, swim, shop and have lunch at Red Robin!!!  Do your children?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cookie Cutter Parenting

When I first became a parent I was looking to be exactly like other Catholic parents, whatever that was.  I immunized Beau and Maria.  I put them in pre-school because they would never get into Harvard if I didn't.  I bought the "Happy Meals" because that was what all the other moms did.  I dressed them like all the other kids.  We celebrated Santa and then God.  Why oh why was I so unhappy?  I had everything I wanted, so I thought. One day I turned and saw a disaster following me.  A Catholic School run by feminists of the worst kind.  Caring more about academics and fundraising than the souls of these little people.  We were raising them to put God on the back burner.   God knew exactly what to do.  I became pregnant with Ireland.  I had secondary infertility.  I was very busy when I became pregnant.  I was working part-time for the Catholic Pre-School, working part-time as a Waitress at a place that had Country Music Shows.  I was also helping my brother start

Good Morning Americans

This morning I turned on GMA.  GMA standing for Good Morning America!  Really?  The news they put out is anything but good.  Today the ticker at the bottom of the screen read that milk was going up $.60.   Here .  BUT this is what was supposed to happen.   Here.   Coffee prices are going up.   Here.   The best is fuel!  Gas prices escalate.   Here. Let's talk about jobs...  Here is what the government says.   Here.   The reality is " In a phone call,  Harvard Business School  Entrepreneurship and Strategy Professor Joe Fuller called the numbers “more of the same.” While he felt the headline jobs number was “a disappointment even in the context of a decaying picture for jobs growth,” Fuller warns that”trying to read a lot into month to month data is a fools errand. There is, however, something in these numbers that’s unsettling. Even though we talk about the period from July to November being good relative to the recent past, it still wasn’t the type of job growth numbers we

Don't Judge a Special Needs Family

Have you ever been misunderstood? Have you ever tried to do the right thing and have a whole bunch of wicked come hurling at you? What did you do? Did you start to endlessly explain your motives so it could be twisted by the few people that dislike you? Or did you stay silent? Staying silent is not my strong point, thus the blog.;) When I became pregnant with Looly (Kate), I noticed some big changes within myself. I had to fight to keep her alive because of a difficult pregnancy. Then at the end of my pregnancy I had to fight to keep us both alive. Then we were told Looly had Down Syndrome. At that time, we were grateful to God that she was alive and later we were thanking God that her heart was healthy and there was no neurological damage. She just has Down Syndrome. Just Down Syndrome. Say those words...just Down Syndrome. That is what I do, I simplify difficult things, then reflect and think I'm crazy. I was connected to this child at conception. I begged God to let me car